This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

What is the administrator password on the VMs created?

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM

I seem to have successfully created a VM using the factory. I chose the Rangers TFS with WSS image.
I came back to find the image rebooted and just waiting for me to logon. But I cannot figure out what the administrator password is? I looked through the settings in the vmfactory, and found a couple of very long random passwords, but neither of them seem to work.

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM
  • Fire up DeploymentWorkbench on your VM Factory
  • Right click on the appropriate deployment share, i.e. Rangers Deployment Share.
  • Select Properties
  • Select Rules tab
  • Look for AdminPassword property, normally on line 9.
  • That’s your admin password :)
Dec 28, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Thanks. But I tried that one several times (very carefully) with no luck.

I'll try again tomorrow with an empty VM.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:15 AM

If it's any help, I tried again with the same results. When I returned to see how it was progressing, it appears that it was trying to login. It said "the user name or password is incorrect" which leads me to suspect it was in the middle of its process somewhere. I can't beleive that is the final state for a normal installation.  I did not sit there and watch it so I'm not sure exactly how far it got.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:34 AM

So I reset the local administrator password using a widely published technique, specifying the password you suggested it Should have been. The install continued to run from that point and apparently logged in with that password without trouble this time. And it continued with the installation of the Visual Studio 2010 bundle, starting with SQL Server. I'll report how it did in the morning. But clearly there is something different in my setup that caused trouble.

I may try building a new VMFactory and downloading the Ranger's sequences again. In my early efforst to understand MDT, I might have clicked a few buttons and accidentally saved something in the unattended xml. Who knows.  It's all part of the learning process, right? (grin).

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM
If you can share the mdt logs from the vm we can try and have a peek at possible issues.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 27/12/2011 8:05 PM
To: Willy-Peter Schaub
Subject: Re: What is the administrator password on the VMs created? [RangersVSVMFactory:284295]

So I reset the local administrator password using a widely published technique, specifying the password you suggested it Should have been. The install continued to run from that point and apparently logged in with that password without trouble this time. And it continued with the installation of the Visual Studio 2010 bundle, starting with SQL Server. I'll report how it did in the morning. But clearly there is something different in my setup that caused trouble.

I may try building a new VMFactory and downloading the Ranger's sequences again. In my early efforst to understand MDT, I might have clicked a few buttons and accidentally saved something in the unattended xml. Who knows. It's all part of the learning process, right? (grin).

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Here was the final result of my experience:

Ultimately, with a little manual intervention, the image was created and seems to be good. There is a good chance that all the failures are my fault, due to unintended variations I made from the given documentation.
  There were 4 obstacles:
   1. The auto-login failed after the OS setup. I manually reset the password to what I think it should have been, rebooted, and it proceeded successfully to auto login.
      I think the root cause here may have been that I monkeyed around with the unattended.xml several times before I learned the proper way to set the credentials that call back to my deployment share. I posted about that issue earlier. I am guessing I broke the auto-logon in the process.
   2. I had to accept the license agreement on Office 2007 and press the Install Now button.
      I had a slightly different version of office because the one called for is not available on MSDN in my country.
   3. I had to accept the license agreement on Project Professional 2007 and press the Install Now button.
      I may have had a different version like item #2, I cannot recall on this one.
   4. StyleCop installation failed (the installation package could not be opened).
      I won't blame the script for that. I seem to recall I could not find it to download it.

So much of the automation worked as planned. And when not, it is likely that it is my fault.
  The most painful part of this is downloading the right images and setting them up. I imagine you cannot provide licensed software.
  in a downloadable package. But that is the greatest hassle here. This is a delicate process. It's too bad that you cannot provide a massive download of this
  entire MDT on a single VHD, complete with the Deployment Share fully populated.

But then I would not have had to learn MDT. And now that I am learning it, I should be able to fix the problems and upgrade my task sequences.